Religious Icons - Mexican

I've always loved Religious Artefacts.



Be it painted icons of religious saints, ex-votos, crosses, candelabras, milagros, religious sacrements, anything really of this nature. Those I like the best are usually based on the traditions of cultures foreign to my own. Although not being brought up in the Catholic Church, I have a fascination and curiosity with those traditions also.



Some of the more colourful are the Mexican Icons. Mexican Art in general is full of bright vivid colours with bold substantial subject matter. No wishy washy muted colours or diminitive figures. The depiction of the subject does not seem to focus on realistic representation but rather on the emotion of the subject. I think this is why I love it so much. (eg the works of Frida Kahlo.. but that can be another post).


Their religious icons also seem to follow this trend.




This painting is of "Our Lady of Mount Carmel". It is one of my favourites. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I found this image. I would love to know what it is she is holding (see inset).




Facts Update According to Wikipedia;
Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a title traditionally given to Blessed Virgin Mary, in honor of her having given the Scapular of Lady of Mount Carmel to Saint Simon Stock. It is a devotional scapular typically consisting of two small (usually rectangular) pieces of cloth, wood or laminated paper, a few inches in size which may bear religious images or text.

Well as you can see, researching your blog posts is an education in itself!

No comments: